Note to Readers:
The following information is based on initial reviews of incident reports and should not be considered a comprehensive list of all incidents reported. The blog reports do not include sex crimes, domestic abuse, juvenile information, medical reports, and other sensitive police reports. The blog may differ from local news sources as well as trends reported at crimereports.com
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Press Release: Leaf Blower Rules
• No leaf blower shall be operated before 8:00A.M or later than 8:00P.M Monday through Friday. No leaf blower shall be operated before 9:00A.M or after 8:00 P.M on the weekends and holidays.
• All leaf blowers are to be operated as recommended by the manufacturer. No modifications to the machine are allowed.
• In the event that a police officer or other Town employee, observes that a leaf blower has been modified or damaged, or does not have the proper manufacturer’s or Town label, the operator will be instructed to have the machine tested by the Town
• Starting May 3rd`, inspections will be conducted by the Town at the DPW facility at 870 Hammond Street. They will continue every first and third Tuesday night from 5:00PM through 7:00PM. These inspections will determine whether or not the machines are in compliance with the acceptable noise levels as set out in the by-law. No appointments necessary. The by-law prohibits the use of leaf blowers that exceed 67db. Those machines that pass inspection will be furnished with a label indicating that they may be operated within Brookline.
• Questions and information call the DPW at 617-646-2700.
We are recommending that you check your leaf blowers for the proper manufacturer’s label indicating that the noise level of the machine does not exceed 67 db. If it does, it will be illegal to use this machine in Brookline and you may be subject to a fine. If no label is attached, we strongly suggest you attend an inspection at your earliest convenience.
Brookline Police Department